Dangerous Animals IntroductionWhen you think of dangerous animals what comes to mind? Is it sharp claws, scary fangs, or powerful huge muscles? Many dangerous animals do have these characteristics however there are very dangerous animals, and actually the most dangerous, that do not have these deadly characteristics. In the list below we have named 10 very deadly animals, not necessarily the deadliest animals in the world but if not very close. In order to list the top 5, 10, or 20 animals in the world you would first have to define dangerous. This definition might include animals that kill the most people per year, or perhaps the most difficult to fight off or avoid would be considered.
In this section of Interesting Animal Facts (Dangerous Animal Facts) you will find pages of interesting information about some very lethal species. Below we have listed just a few. As with all the pages of this site both kids and adults should find this information easy and enjoyable to read.
Click here for a great selection of Amazon.com books about dangerous animals.
Dangerous Animals List
- Mosquito - The smallest animal in this list, the Mosquito, is by far the most dangerous animal in the world. In fact they kill over one million people every year by transmitting deadly diseases such as malaria, west nile, and yellow fever.
- Saw-scaled viper - Perhaps the most dangerous snake in the world it is responsible for an estimated 15,000 to 20,000 human fatalities per year in India alone. Although other snakes have more lethal venom this snake is very aggressive.
- African Elephant - The African Elephant is the largest land mammal on the earth. It is huge and has bone crushing power. It is estimated they kill approximately 500 people a year. Although generally unthreatening if they are enraged or feel threatened they can attack quickly with deadly force.
- Crocodiles - The Crocodile is as dangerous as is it is scary. Lying still in the water and then quickly and decisively lunging at its prey it is without doubt one of the most dangerous animals in the world. It is estimated to kill over two thousand people every year. One of the most dangerous species is the Nile Crocodile.
- Sea Wasp Box Jellyfish - This sea animal has the deadliest venom on earth. Since 1884 it has killed sixty three people mostly in the waters off Australia. Its sting is incredibly painful and can stop your heart within a few minutes.
- The Puff Adder - This is the most common and the most dangerous snake in Africa; it kills more people on that continent than any other snake. Its venom is lethal enough to kill an adult human with one bite.
- African Lion - No surprise here; the African Lion looks dangerous and it is dangerous. It is an amazingly well adapted predator pocessing incredible strength, sharp teeth, keen senses, and deadly razor sharp claws. These animals kill dozens of people every year.
- Hippopotamus - You may be surprised to see the Hippo on this list. This animal in fact kills more people in Africa per year than the lion. They are very aggressive especially if you get near one of their babies. They kill approximately 300 people every year in Africa.
- Cape Buffalo - These very unpredictable animals kill more people in Africa than any other species. They are quick and huge (up to 2,000 pounds or 907 kilograms) and kill by either goring or trampling.
- Polar Bear - Although not responsible for many human deaths per year due to its limitation to artic regions this animal is extremely menacing. It is the largest bear in the world and in fact is the largest land carnivore weighing in at about 1,500 pounds (680 kilograms). It will attack a human without hesitation with incredible speed using its lethal teeth and claws.